29 Dec Enhance Lips Using Collagen Injections
Injectable collagen can plump up thin lips, soften facial creases and wrinkles, and enhance shallow contours. Visible signs of aging occur over time. To restore a youthful volume and appearance to your lips, try collagen injections.
Who is a candidate for collagen lip injections?
Collagen injections into the lips are a form of soft tissue augmentation. They change certain elements of the lips, but they do not stop the aging process. While injection the lips is a medical procedure, it is not as involved as cosmetic surgery. Tissue fillers are a good option if you:
- Don’t smoke
- Are physically healthy
- Have realistic goals in mind for your appearance
- Have a positive outlook
Are there different types of collagen fillers?
Collagen is a naturally-occurring protein that supports the skin. Injectable collagen is derived from the dermis of humans or obtained from animal products. Human-derived collagen products include Cosmoplast and Cosmoderm, whereas bovine (cow) collagen products include Zyderm and Zyplast. Evolence is a collagen filler made from purified porcine (pig) collagen.
A hybrid form of collagen is Arefill, that has a mixture of bovine collagen and homogeneous micorspheres (plastic). This creates a desired, long-lasting look and also stimulates natural collagen production. Treatment results can last for up to one year with other products, but this varies from client-to-client.
How do collagen injections work?
Your skin and lips contain multiple layers. Below the outer layer (epidermis) is a second layer called the dermis. In the dermis are nerves, blood vessels, and hair follicles, but it is mainly composed of collagen, a structural protein. Collagen works with the skin’s network of fibers to provide a framework for growth of blood vessels and cells. Collagen fillers are used to replace lost natural collagen, filling in and plumping up the lips.
How do I prepare for the lip enhancement procedure?
Before having collagen injected into your lips, the doctor will meet with you to go over your aesthetic goals. After choosing a procedure, the doctor reviews the risks and benefits, and has you sign a form of informed consent. You should notify the doctor of all medications you take. Certain blood-thinning drugs may be held for several days before the procedure.
What happens during the collagen lip injection procedure?
The steps to this procedure are:
- Step 1: The plastic surgeon evaluates your facial appearance and the areas you wish to enhance.
- Step 2: The physician may use a skin marker as a guide to the appropriate injection sites for the collagen.
- Step 3: The area is cleansed with an antibacterial solution, and a topical anesthetic agent is applied.
- Step 4: The lips are injected with the collagen, and the surgeon uses his hands to shape the region.
- Step 6: Sometimes, small amount of BOTOX Cosmetic is used to optimize the effects of the lip augmentation. The BOTOX is carefully administered around the lips into the orbicularis oris muscle that helps purse the lips. This will reduce motion in the region so the lip injection filler lasts longer.
- Step 5: The markings are removed with a cleansing agent, and icing is offered for temporary relief of pain.
How long does it take and what is recovery like?
The average time for a collagen lip enhancement procedure is around 20 minutes. You will have some slight swelling and bruising for 2-5 days. We recommend that you avoid heat, saunas, or hot showers for 48 hours, and do not rub or squeeze the lips. You are allowed to return to your usual diet following the procedure.