11 Aug 10 Tips to Starting a Weight Loss Program
Losing Weight is a task that requires dedication, perseverance and persistence. So how can one ensure that their weight loss program will be successful? Here are 10 tips that people should keep in mind when they consider starting a weight loss program.
- Assess your weight: Before considering a weight loss program, it is important to assess your weight with your Body Mass Index (BMI). This will help you learn about the weight that is ideal for your body. There are plenty of websites from where you can check your BMI.
- Stay positive:Staying positive is essential when you consider a weight loss program. Negative thoughts will only stand in the way of weight loss. Provided that one has an optimistic mindset and is ready for this change of lifestyle, it will be easier to lose weight effectively.
- Be patient: Losing weight is a slow and steady process. It takes time and patience. Do not look for quicker alternatives in an attempt to lose weight. There are plenty of weekly plans that promise weight loss quickly but they are not safe to use. Have patience and take things easy and you will soon start seeing positive results.
- Set realistic goals: When starting a weight loss program, the last thing you want to do is set goals that will be impossible for you to achieve. Such goals will only turn out to be a disappointment when you can’t reach them. Instead, set realistic goals, even if they may take longer to achieve.
- Do not skip meals: Most people have the misconception that skipping meals will help them lost weight. However, this is not the case. In fact, skipping meals will weaken the metabolism and train the body to retain weight, rather than lose it. It will also keep the energy levels low and lower energy levels will affect the willpower to lose weight.
- Eat a few small meals instead of 3 large meals: You can eat 6 small meals throughout the day. This will help keep cravings and hunger at bay and also help regulate the blood sugar. Just watch the portion sizes and ensure that they comprise of healthy food items.
- Fight the urge for snacks: In order to lose weight, it is important to fight the urge for snacks. It may be difficult not to have snacks in between meals but you can fight the urge by keeping your mind off food. When you feel like having a snack, distract your mind and spend your time completing a household chore or another useful activity.
- Track the progress: Losing weight is easier when the progress is being tracked. Keeping a note of positive results will keep one determined to lose weight. Without tracking progress, you may be wasting your time since you will have no proof whether a certain weight loss program is working for you or not.
- Keep a workout plan: Losing weight is not limited to cutting down on food intake and switching up the food plan. Exercising is equally important and will help keep the weight off the body.
- Make use of support from friends and family: The last thing you need is negativity from people. Instead, make use of support from friends and family that will keep you happy and motivated.